Tuesday, March 22, 2011

e350-- new faceplate

Somehow, without realizing it, we've become a digital oscillator household. Or so you'd think by looking at the current state of our modular. The imminent release of a certain VCO by a certain company I build for will slide the scales back to the analog side of things, but in the meantime, we have a Hertz Donut, a Cloud Generator and a Morphing Terrarium all in a row, which I call "perfect sine alley." We own a uLFO, too (production model #001), which holds its own just fine in terms of sound quality and sine purity (is that even a thing anymore? Am I dating myself in dredging up that reference?).

The e350 Morphing Terrarium was built from Synthesis Technology's "kit" version, which is essentially the fully built PCBs, minus the pots, jacks and faceplate-- all surface mount work is done for you, at a $100+ savings. Not bad!

I was interested in bringing the jumper pins on the back (which enable/disable wavetable interpolation and reassign the outputs into phase shifted copies) to the faceplate, a popular mod for the module, so I contacted Pro Modular about etching an extended panel for me (with an additional 2HP to accommodate the switches), and asked David from Bubblesound for Illustrator help.

After a short wait, the revised faceplate arrived with yesterday's mail. I threw some Davies knobs on there and KA-BLAM! It looks like this:



BEAUTIFUL! Thank you again to Stephen and to David for their help, and to Paul for designing such an interesting module.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger smurphy said...

Hey Peter,
Looks great! I am just starting to get my first modular togther and thought I would try this... I have no experience with electronics but would like to try your mod with switches at the front. Could you give me any pointers on how to do this?
Thanks!
Stephen

12:56 PM  
Blogger Faxed said...

There are two three-pin headers on the back of module's PCB (Paul mentions which is which in the documentation for the e350). Rather than soldering wires directly to them, I soldered them to a pair of 3-pin female headers and placed these on the PCB headers (less risk of something going permanently wrong this way). The switches were soldered to the other ends of these wires. Viola! Good luck!!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home