Sunday, September 27, 2009

¡¡¡Eso Si Que Es!!!

So my dad used to tell me this joke that I really liked when I was a kid. It's a language joke, and you have to know a little bit of Spanish, but I'll help you out.

This guy goes into a department store, but he's from Mexico, and he doesn't know any English. He goes to the salesman to get some help, but the salesman doesn't know any Spanish. Being a good salesman, he tries his best to make it work.

"¿Donde están los calcetines?" the guy asks, and the salesman says, "Um...are you looking for a shirt?" and he indicates his shirt, and the man shakes his head, so the salesman says, "Do you mean pants?" The man shakes his head again, no.

The salesman lifts the leg of his pants and points to his sock. "Socks?" he asks.

"¡Ah! ¡Sí! ¡Sí! ¡Eso si que es!{That is what it is!}" the man says.

"S-O-C-K-S?" The salesman says. "Well why didn't you say so!"

It's a total Dad Joke, but I bring it up because I finally finished knitting my first pair of socks, which are for Pete. It only took me three years!


You can kind of tell from the photo--the sock on Pete's left foot (the sock on the right in this photo) has a super point to it, kind of like an elf sock. I don't know why that happened, and I offered to fix it for Pete, but maybe he's half elf, because he said it was just fine the way it is. I like for my homemade things to look super homemade, so that's fine by me.

Special thanks to Courtney for teaching me how to turn a heel, twice, and to Kellie, for teaching me how to do the magic loop. And Pete for waiting so patiently all these years for his socks. Yeah, okay, I'll make you a dang sweater. It should be ready in about 5 years.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! They look great! I've always wondered if Pete was half-elf. That would explain a lot of things.

Here's a sweater pattern for you: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-dude. This is the one sweater that Ben has shown any sort of interest in me knitting for him.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Jess Speer said...

ooh! I like it! He's going to have to get in line behind me, though. I need to make myself a sweater first. If I make him one, I'll just borrow it all the time, and it will be for me anyway.

Actually, that will probably happen no matter what.

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that - make a sweater for your husband knowing full well that you're going to be the one wearing it most of the time. You're an evil genius!

I'm also afraid that if I make The Dude sweater for Ben, he'll just be drunk on white Russians all the time. It does really tie the room together though. /end gratuitous Lebowski references

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home