Sunday, September 27, 2009

Speaker as fixed EQ

I was making digital copies of dictaphone tapes this afternoon, and while doing so came to the conclusion that I prefer the sound of the tapes through the recorder's internal speaker over the sound of the tapes directly.

So, to get more of the sound I wanted into the computer, I set a 57 an inch or so off the speaker's center and pressed record-- it's a much closer copy of what I want than simply running the headphone output into a mixer.


Have any of you tried this? Do you have a favorite mic for the job? I haven't done much experimenting (and don't have the biggest mic closet in the world), but if this is something you've done or do often and can recommend a set-up, let me know-- I'd love to hear about/try it!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger nate said...

Have you heard of Alvin Lucier's "I am Sitting in a Room"?
He does what you're doing, except records it, plays it back and records that, repeat. It ends up all crazy sounding from the resonances amplifying themselves and everything else fading away.

mp3:
http://ubu.artmob.ca/sound/source/Lucier-Alvin_Sitting.mp3
wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Sitting_in_a_Room

(how does the google know so much?)

11:19 PM  
Blogger Faxed said...

Thanks Nate! I know Jess is a fan of that project-- I'll have to check it out for myself. I have a feeling I'll love it.

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home