Thursday, October 22, 2009

"Downtown New York"

I saw "After Hours" for the first time last night and, noticing that Rockets Redglare was in it, I started snooping around the internet for stories surrounding his involvement.

What I found instead was this link to clips from "Downtown New York," a then-contemporary public access show with which I was otherwise unfamiliar.

Watching clips of Soho from the latter half of the 80s reminded me of this Glenn O'Brien article (to keep the NY public access theme going), about his realization that the neighborhood had become "too hot" for his handling. The gallery scenes from "Style Wars" come to mind as well (fast forward to 2:53).

Things change, I'm not saying anything new, but it's been on my mind recently and is one of those facts that manages to surprise me whenever I'm reminded of it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home