Sunday, July 19, 2009

Binary sequence

Trying to recreate one of the modules I got to play around with yesterday (the Blacet Binary Zone) with modules I already have:


I like the fact that you can build one from the sum of its parts (essentially), but I think I'd rather have one dedicated module that took care of this sort of sequencing all on its own. I still don't have an inverter of any kind (though I'm hoping to have one of these eventually), but I found pretty much all of the Binary Zone's other functions can be realized with :

a. an LFO
b. a clock divider
c. a polarizing mixer
d. a slew limiter

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Navs said...

Nice one Pete! I always think these sort of Lust-Ersatz patches are the best. Getting creative to stave off GAS! I'll post something later on today to prove that latteral thinking will often get you similar results to your object of desire. (Hint: Dual kinetic ports, anyone?) On the inverter: you have a polarizing mixer, right? Beware the D-Logic mod is digital i.e. it won't invert say +3V to -3V, just 10V 'gates' (high or low). My recommendation is A-Sol's MX224: wicked handy 2-in mixer, mult, buffer & inverter in 4HP. Everyone should have one! :) Cheers, Navs.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Faxed said...

Thanks Navs!

I bow to your point about the 138c being an inverter (and an attenuated inverter at that!), but in a "Binary Zone" patch, it's otherwise occupied. I guess what I should have said was "I don't have a dedicated inverter. Yet."

To that end, thanks for the tip on the 166, and for the MX224 recommendation-- I'll check that one out for sure. I've got a soft spot for 4HP utility modules.

As for the Kinetic Gates, I've read that the CGS Slope Detector will get you there (or, for that matter, Metalbox's version of it, if you don't want to roll your own). That is to say FoH Choices + CGS Slope Detector = Plan B M32, more or less.

Looking forward to reading your lateral thinking piece!

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

things that are your bag: http://vimeo.com/5734105

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home